materials handling Hazards
What are the Risk Factors?
- Lifting, pushing and pulling material with excessive weight.
- Storing material in locations which require awkward postures, e.g., reaching away from the body and twisting.
- Tasks involving repetitive motions such a frequent bending.
Injury Prevention Strategies for Materials Handling Hazards
- Determine safe lift limits and ensure that employees adhere to the set limit.
- Use material handling equipment such as carts, dollies and lifts to transport heavy materials.
- Store materials in a location that can be accessed without bending or reaching.
Resources and Training Guides
Ergonomics--Solutions to Control Hazards: OSHA https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/ergonomics/controlhazards.html
OSHA Materials Handling and Storage https://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha2236.pdf
OSHA Ergonomics eTool: Solutions for Electrical Contractors https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/electricalcontractors/materials/heavy.html